Friday, January 18, 2008

A Scooter Isn't a Motorcycle -


Sitting in Pai for four days. I was supposed to be there for two. This place was a vortex. Everyday was spent sitting in hammoks with other travelers talking about how heard it was to leave. The nights were spent at a bonfire with our new friends Thai Davit, and Irish dave as well as other nameless travelers. When The bon fire burnt out, we'd head to the thai bars across the river. Drink. Joke. Fall over. Dropping people off at their huts as we ride my wobbly scooter into the night. How did I get home? Theres writing all over my arm? What?

Four Days, but finally I made it out. We hopped on the scotters and began our four hour journey through the mountains back through the twisted road to chang Mai. I climbed the hills with terraced farms within jungle plantlife all around me. A huge bull eats grass at the side of the road. With the sumer wind and the guitar on my back, I felt so awesome and In control. Zipping around huge trucks and taxis, and barely missing oncoming traffic. Then I began my descent.

The road down the mountain winded back and forth at a steep grade that made me slightly nervous. I held my cramping hand on the brake at every turn and hit the throttle as I pulled out of it. Cars were passing me as I slowly made my way down. I started to feel safer and in control again. I sped up a little bit.


Then about halfway down the mountain I took a turn down another set of switchbacks. A bus was passing by in the other direction and a truck was directly behind me. Carelessly, I took the turn a little too sharp as I hit a patch of dirt. I lost control. My bike went sideways as I hit the road. I slid across the pavement on my side, and dragged my arm across the asfault until I hit the guardrail. The guitar was ripped away from my back and I came to a stop.


All the vehicles stopped and watched as I got up and sat on my bike. With roadrash on my arm, and a bloddy knee, I brushed the dirt off, told everyone I was alright, and took back off towards the town. This was the day I learned that a scooter wasn't a Motorcycle and I shouldn't ride it like one.

No comments: