Sunday, January 27, 2008

Koh Tao

View from my bungalow on Koh Tao

Away from the tourist madness of Phuket and Krabi, I head to the pier and I hop on a boat litterally overflowing with party goers headed for the famous full moon party on Koh Phangan.So crowded was this boat, that it likely could have tipped over from the weight of us all sitting onone side of the boat with our legs hanging over the side and talking. The deck hands had to run up screaming that the crowd equalize the weight to both sides of the boat. We sat with a couple girls from holland and a canadian, and joked around for the two hour trip, as we sailed east under a spectacular souteast asian sunset. Within two hours of arriving, I secured my hut on the beach and I sat in my hammok for the next two days swimming and drinking until the party. I got my sunburn the first afternoon.

The night of the party, or rave I should say, was an increadible sight. Thousands apon thousands of drunken twacked out ravers, on a beach, under the brightest moon Ive ever seen, danced to the techno, while crazy light shows and fire dancers tripped out everyone on mushrooms. It was an Mtv spring brake party if it was anything though, and I forgot my glowstick. Damn. It was fun ... its just that these kind of parties are for that dudebro party type college guy-
..Im not dudebro party guy. I wish I was, but im not. Ive never been dudebro party guy. I walked along the beach with my beer and enjoyed the maddness.

After Koh Phangan, it was some time for some relaxation so I got on another ferry headed to Koh Tao- A small island to the north. When I arrived, we hiked all over the island searching for the perfect spot, and after three hours of searching we found it. A place called Tanote Bay. A place that ade my jaw drop. On this little beach, I got another bungalow for 5 bucks a night. This place was straight paradise - A tiny little bay with crystal clear blue waters and thousands of fish swimming around a huge majestic rock in the center.
The place I stayed was called Posidon bungalows and it was run by a nice little Thai family- there were about twenty bungalows on the beach surrounding a kitchen diner with a bar on the second floor that had hammoks and floor cushons to lay down on under the stars while overlooking the moon lit rock in the bay.

Every day went down like this. Wake up and head to the kitchen to order some beans, eggs and toast. Then after my iced coffee, go snorkle with some fish. At about 1pm, Id head to my hammok and take a little nap on my porch. After I wake, I would then head down and play some blues guitar with that guy from switzerland that played this amazing harmonica. Then I'd Draw in my sketchbook until it was time to climb up to the rooftop bar to lay down on some cushons and listen to Bob Marley as I drank long Islands and watched the moon rise out of the ocean while talking to some awesome friends we met also staying there. Next day repeat.

After the full week staying here, I realized I hadn't left a radius of about 1000 feet and I couldn't be more content. No tv, no internet, no nothing. I see myself coming back here every few years.
Tomorow I head to Laos.

No comments: