Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cambodia

In the morning I woke up, ate breakfast, and hopped on a tuk tuk to go see the eighth wonder of the world - Ankor Wat. Absolutly breathtaking. Photos of this place dont do it a bit of justice. We spent the whole day crawling around the 6th century ruins; inhabited by huge familys of bats, and slowly loosing the battle of existance to the will of the jungle, I felt a sense of awe in the shadows of the ancient towers of Anchor Wat.



The next day, I took a tukTuk out of SiemReap to a military compoud at the end of a dirt road. Passing cambodian solders training under the hot sun, the TukTuk dropped us off at a little building behind a wall. As we got out and walked in, my jaw dropped to the floor as I saw the collection of automatic weapons and bazookas.

20 dollars to shoot a rifle. Thirty dollars to shoot an Ak47. Fifty dollars to shoot a M60 sub machinegun. And a few hundred to shoot a Bazooka. They ran out of rockets for the bazooka, so I grab my Ak47. A Cambodian boy tied a cow to the end of the alley style shooting Range 60 feet away. It made a wimper as I aimed my gun.....



...Just kidding. There was no cow. Im not that cold. In fact, personally Im against guns of any kind. Having never shot one, and never even held or wanted to hold one, this was the last place on earth I expected to be. But standing here, in the middle of the Cambodian dessert, with an opportunity that Ill most likely never have again, I made the decision to do it just this once. Curiosity outweighed opinion. Excitement outweighed fear. I aimed. Pulled the trigger. A mess of bullets and fire shot out of the barrel - Ba-ba-ba-ba-bop!!!

I didn't hit my target of course, and feel slightly wierd about the whole experience. Nevertheless, It was another crazy couple of days. Im off to india next.



Alex

1 comment:

Katie Markley said...

Wow, you're really into this whole "I am man" thing huh? I gotta say, you did have me in suspense about the cow.

Enjoy India!